A man heard God calling to him. He heard God say, "You are to go and push on the rock." As the sun rose, the man went out, and with all his might, he pushed this rock all day long. When night fell, he went to bed exhausted. The next day he got up again and began to push the rock. The next day he pushed. The following day he pushed.
This went on for several years until he heard the voice of Satan. Satan said to the man, "You are pushing that rock, yet how far have you actually moved it?"
The man responds, "I haven't moved it at all. I haven't even budged it." Satan says, " Do you believe that this is what God is calling you to do? You are not succeeding at all.
You are a failure."
Suddenly the man was discouraged. In that moment he suddenly saw he had accomplished nothing. The rock had never moved.
In his distress, he went to God in prayer and said, "Lord, you've told me to push the rock and I've pushed and pushed the rock, but I have failed. I am a failure. I have not succeeded at all."
God responded by saying, "I never told you to move the rock. I told you push the rock, and in your pushing, look at your shoulders. They are not weak and thin like they were years ago when you started. Look at your back and your arms and legs. Look at the person you are today. You are not the same person that I originally called to push that rock. You are stronger now. You have more faith. You may not be able to move the rock, but I can."
Our calling is to do the work that God has called us to do. The task may seem enormous, and the need so grand that it will feel like we are pushing against a solid rock that does not move. Yet, the promise of God is that he will strengthen us for the task and enable us to fulfill our calling.
This went on for several years until he heard the voice of Satan. Satan said to the man, "You are pushing that rock, yet how far have you actually moved it?"
The man responds, "I haven't moved it at all. I haven't even budged it." Satan says, " Do you believe that this is what God is calling you to do? You are not succeeding at all.
You are a failure."
Suddenly the man was discouraged. In that moment he suddenly saw he had accomplished nothing. The rock had never moved.
In his distress, he went to God in prayer and said, "Lord, you've told me to push the rock and I've pushed and pushed the rock, but I have failed. I am a failure. I have not succeeded at all."
God responded by saying, "I never told you to move the rock. I told you push the rock, and in your pushing, look at your shoulders. They are not weak and thin like they were years ago when you started. Look at your back and your arms and legs. Look at the person you are today. You are not the same person that I originally called to push that rock. You are stronger now. You have more faith. You may not be able to move the rock, but I can."
Our calling is to do the work that God has called us to do. The task may seem enormous, and the need so grand that it will feel like we are pushing against a solid rock that does not move. Yet, the promise of God is that he will strengthen us for the task and enable us to fulfill our calling.
No comments:
Post a Comment