Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter

I have been thinking about many things as this Easter has come and will soon be gone. Humans are a strange lot! I have been reading this morning on several pages from links on this page and find such strange goings on.

First I came across this headline from the news in Canada. Causes me to wonder if this person understands the word contradiction!

A better read is this page on the Golden Rule's existence in faiths and religions of the world. It does beg the question " If this is true, why is there so much strife in the world?"

It seems that in each human being there is a well* of the "I" which wants very much to be satisfied and often (more than any of us would want to admit) overtakes, overwhelms and controls the knowledge we might gain from all of our faith learning and instruction and probably confirms the reality that we also hate to admit which is the evil in each of us. I know there are many who will say "define evil!" Or one person's evil is another person's pleasure and who has the right to determine this! I rest my case. If we cannot see evil for what it is, we cannot follow the Golden Rule in whatever language or terminology it is expressed. We can only respond to the well which demands an answer.

It seems that Easter may transcend all of this and speak to the heart of human existence. If the claims of the Bible are true and if one person would give up their life for every person who has or will exist, this example at the very least reminds us that that well within us can be defeated; or the consequences of our actions and deeds from responding can be brought into submission. Jesus spoke of His own well while praying before the crucifixion. "Lu 22:42 Father, if it is your pleasure, take this cup from me: but still, let your pleasure, not mine, be done." Bible in Basic English. He had overcome the well within! Not on His own but the Spirit of God within.

I have used the term * well because I recognize it in my own being. My response to other people's actions, against me, and towards others, is like a pressured fountain waiting to burst forth. It all depends on whether there is a cap which prevents me from reacting with some kind of violence but rather with compassion and benevolence. I need the same Spirit power to really effectively live out the Golden Rule. No amount of self control practiced or otherwise will allow me to be in complete control and "do no harm!"

Easter! Yes!

No comments: