Sunday, January 28, 2007

Random Thoughts

Today I visited a new (to me) church. How did I feel? Alone, left out, and separate as no one sat near me. Though the people were friendly, it was still a good reminder to me that going somewhere new, even for someone who goes to church, is a challenging experience! Some things I heard
- Little boy lost a tooth and reported this to the person making announcements, she replied jokingly, "Did you find something under our pillow?" "Yes!" "Have your mom and dad told you about tithing?";
- Standard religious answer when asked if someone will serve in the church "I'll have to pray about that!" Read "I don't think so but I'll get back to you!" (My paraphrase);
- Holy Bible, Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, or your ways my ways, says the Lord." (BBE) Good reason to put aside anger, despair, frustration, discontent, envy and all the other negative thinking because these are not the thoughts of a Holy God! (My paraphrase again)

The sermon was challenging, and also comforting - strange combination!

Now for rest and some quiet in the midst of a snowy, windy afternoon.

No comments: